HISTORY OF SAN JORGE ECO-LODGES
FROM THE PRE-INCA CULTURES TO THE PRESENT
3500 B.C: Quito City was founded in the area of Cotococllao. A new comerce trail was buit crossing the Nono Alto Plateu, which facilitated the trade between the Yumbos and Cocaniguas Xachila in the coastal lowlands and the Cotocollao Tribe. There are strong evidences of this trail in San Jorge Eco-lodge Quito.
500 B.C: The Chaupicruz culture located in the eastern Pichincha foothilss began using the trail like the Cotocollaos and Yumbos culture for trading coastal products like salt, peanuts, yucca, obsidian stone,cotton, fishes, spondylus conches, ceramics, papayas, pineapples, tobacco, potatoes, corn, mellocos, masuhas, ocas, medicinal plants and gold.
1450 A.C: Huayna Caoac, the Incan emperor, began to conquer the Yumbos, using this old trade trails. The Incas continued to build forts called Pucaraes around the trail. The Chasquis runners began sending messages by these pre-Incan trails as well.
1534 A.C: Ruminahui, our national Incan hero, burns and destroys Quito city and escapes before the spanish conquistodors arrive. He carried with him the Incan Emperor's sons and a group of virgins. He and his family crossed San Jorge plateau down to Tulipe by the ancient trail.
1535 A.C:Ruy Diaz, a spanish soldier, was sent to capture Ruminahui (Stone Face). Stone Face was never captured and is still the symbol of resistance and strength for Ecuador. Diaz returned to Quito with the virgins and the Emperor's son only.
1537 A.C:Francisco Pizzaro rewards the spanish soldier Juan Lobato for his services in the Peruvian empire conquest. Lobato de Sosa was given all the land of the Cotocollaos and of the Yumbos, which cosisted of all the Nono Alto Plateu and the costal lowlands. He was the fist owner of San Jorge Eco-lodge Quito.
1730 A.C:Pedro Vicente Maldonado, an ecuadorian scientist, helped Jean Marie Condamine organize an expedition to measure the Middle of the World by using the pre-Incan trails of the Nono Alto Plateu (San Jorge area)
1735 A.C: Active trading activities began around the plateu and trails around San Jorge Eco-lodges. Quitenean products were sent to Panama by the "Carretero de Malbuche" created by Pedro Vicente Maldonado.
1790 A.C: Hacienda El Condado (Singuna farm was part of this big farm) became a jesuit retreat. One of the several haciendas that this powerful catholic order owned.
1868 A.C: The big hacienda El Condado, owned by Maria Calisto y Arteta was divided into two parts, the lower area continued named El Condado and the upper part was called Hacienda Singuna (San Jorge Eco-lodge Quito).
1890-1940 A.C: Sugar cane and liquor smugglers used these routes to evade paying liquour taxes. Andean cowboys (Chagras) and andean farmers also used these trails to move cattle around the country.
1905 A.C: The ecuadorian ex-president also considered the best ecuadorian of all times, General Eloy Alfaro, and his family, commanded by his cousin and political partner Flavio Alfaro purchased Singuna farm (now known as San Jorge Eco-lodge Quito).
1970 A.C: Jorge Cruz senior and Gabriel Barahona, two brothers in law, bought the big Hacienda Singuna to the christian priests and developed an agricultural and meat cattle farms.
1989 A.C: Dr. George Cruz and his wife Irina founded Hosteria San Jorge de Quito to show the world this great historical area. They both developed botanical, archeological and historical researches.
2001 A.C: San Jorge opens an international office in USA, managed and marketed by Mrs. Cheryl Korowothy. San Jorge's International Directort of Marketing and Sales.
2005-2008 A.C: Dr. George Cruz and his wife Irina purchase virgin land in Tandayapa, Milpe, Cosanga and Yanayacu to expand their project and to later develop the Magic Birding and Hiking Circuit of Ecuador.
2012 A.C: Jorge Cruz Jr. returns to his loved Ecuador after obtaining his degree in the USA. He becomes the next-generation leader for San Jorge Eco-lodges.
2015 A.C: Dr. George Cruz and his wife Irina purchase virgin land in Camarones (San Jorge Estero Hondo). This new reserve falls inside the now endangered dry Tumbesian Corridor. They name it San Jorge of Estero Hondo.